Spirituality – The Key To Health
To stay healthy, we must eat right, engage in exercise, get rest, and get rid bad habits, such as smoking. But now it is said that “what you believe in” can have a huge impact on health and longevity. Studies show that patients with strong spirituality can improve their health from several chronic conditions, such as hypertension, heart disease, recover from surgery.
Evidence suggests that there are substantial health benefits from spirituality:
- People with religious beliefs or spirituality have lower cortisol responses, a hormone released in response to stress.
- Positive thinking produces nearly a 30% drop in perception of pain.
- Spirituality is linked with a slower progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Those who attend religious activities may live longer. Regular participation in such activities tends to reduce the mortality rate by about 12% a year.
- People undergoing cardiac rehabilitation are more confident and see greater improvements in their physical abilities if they have faith.
- Increased levels of spirituality may help substance abusers get rid of their habit.
- Spirituality stimulates the relaxation response. When the body is relaxed, the heart rate, blood pressure and breathing rate decrease, thus diminishing the body’s stress response.
- Spirituality can affect immune system function.
- Prayer heals the heart.
- Positive talking and thinking in the ICU yields better results.
Spirituality brings you peace and safety. It can be achieved through God or Goddess, nature, a beautiful sunset, a meditation, Pranayama, religious meeting, chanting, mind body relaxation, etc. Spirituality is something that can promote wellness and help with recovery.